Join our Newsletter.
Master the Art of Home Cooking
There are two intermediate courses. Both run weekly over four consecutive weeks.
Each group is small with just four students - ideal for learning.
If you are already a reasonably confident cook but want to take your prowess to the next level, these are the courses for you.
The courses are fun, interactive weekly group classes specifically designed to advance your skills, gastronomic knowledge, creativity and Mediterranean repertoire.
Dive deeper into four key elements of the Mediterranean food pyramid:
Week 1: Leaves, Weeds, Herbs and Dressings
Week 2: Colourful Vegetables - Pickled, Cooked and Raw
Week 3. Pulses. Grains, Nuts and Seeds
Week 4. Fish and Seafood
Salt Fat Acid and Heat are the four fundamentals of good cooking: We teach you the theory and application of each of them so that you can become a more creative cook who enjoys predictable outcomes in the kitchen.
This course has been inspired by Samin Nosrat's book and Netflix series of the same name. Come prepared - read the book and watch the series!
What will you learn?
Extra virgin olive oil underwrites all Mediterranean cookery.
In this 4 week course you will learn of the health benefits of olive oil and the other core elements of the Mediterranean Diet . You will learn how to incorporate all of the elements of the Mediterranean Diet food pyramid into a healthy diet and lifestyle for you and those you cook for.
No boring salads here, we love to cook and inspire you with a wide range of vibrant, flavoursome, nutritious dishes featuring the very best of seasonal produce.
Fish and Seafood
How to purchase, store, and prepare different types of fish and seafood in a wide variety of delicious dishes.
Countless tasty ways to prepare a wide variety of seasonal vegetables - pickled, cooked and raw.
Pulses, grains, nuts and seeds
How to incorporate these complex carbohydrates and fibres into tasty, nutritious, economical dishes.
Leaves, Weeds, herbs, and Dressing
Eat more leaves, discover the health benefits of weeds and herbs and maximise the punch of dressings in these colourful, seasonal dishes.
Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat
What will you learn?
Learn how these four elements of good cooking transform the texture and flavour of the simplest ingredients. Each week, we cover the theory behind each one with a unique menu.
- The different types of salt and how to best use them
- How to use salt in the curing process
- Alternative ingredients that can be used to add saltiness to a dish (ie. anchovies, olives, cheese etc)
How to salt food to create more flavoursome and tender dishes
- How you can add different types of fat into a dish to maximise flavour and texture
- The important of balancing fat with acid
- How the ‘confit’ technique can add flavour and texture
- The benefits of using olive oil in a variety of dishes from savoury to sweet
- The pleasures of nut oils
- How acid can balance out fat and/or sweet flavours and brighten bland tasting food.
- Different forms of acid
- How acid can tenderise proteins
- How to incorporate ingredients with different acidity levels in a dish
- How to use acid to ‘cook’ ingredients
- How slow cooking can tenderise and add flavour
- How to use high heat cooking techniques - frying, blanching, caramelising
- The importance of low heat braises
- How to make a pan really hot
- How to sear a steak or salmon cutlet
- How to avoid overcooking ingredients
- How to add heat and warmth to dishes with key ingredients
- An apron for you to keep
- A folder of all the recipes in the course.
- Digital copies of course notes
- Glass of wine and snacks on arrival
- Intimate, interactive hands on cooking experience
- Sit down dinner with wine to enjoy the food we have cooked together - the Mediterranean way.
- An invite to our WhatsApp cooking class community to share recipes, tips, images and ask questions with your class group
- Complimentary Saturday local farmer’s market tour with Elizabeth
- Complimentary messaging and voice support throughout your course
- 2023 -
TUESDAYS 11am - 2pm
5th September - 26th September (SOLD OUT)
WEDNESDAYS 11am - 2pm
15th November - 6th December (SOLD OUT)
- 2024 -
TUESDAYS 6pm - 9pm
13th February - 5th March (TWO PLACES LEFT)
Four Week Courses $995
Gift Certificates Available
Watch Our Student Stories Video
"I am a lover of food but not cooking, and Liz manages to create a warm learning environment that makes you understand the joy of cooking. She intuitively allows you to appreciate what you already know about cooking and effortlessly builds on that knowledge."
JO, 26 years - CARLTON
"This is not your stock standard cooking class but a learning experience…(it) has really given me confidence and renewed interest in cooking the right way! Thank you Elizabeth!"
RACHEl, 30 years - WHEELERS HILL
"I could not have asked for a better environment in which to learn new skills and change my overall attitude towards cooking. I greatly enjoyed the experience and can’t thank you enough for your positivity, patience and kindness."
JAMES, 25 years - SOUTH YARRA
"Elizabeth’s incredible authentic Italian cooking class was amazing. A great first hand experience in the delicate simplicity of Italian cooking. Would recommend to anyone willing to understand more about the tastes of the Italian cuisine."
GEORGE, 27 years - NYC USA
READ MORE STUDENT STORIES